Sunday 28 September 2014

Edinburgh Foodie Trip

Not long ago I went to Edinburgh for a wee visit to see if I could find something new.

Firstly was the Eat, Drink, Discover Scotland show, which sadly was rather quiet. I was there in the morning so maybe it was before the rush of people. I went for the main purpose of finding a specific company and I did.

This company was called The Wee Pie Company. I have seen their stall before but didn't buy anything. On that occasion I chose another pie stall, which I didn't like. This time around I made a b-line for The Wee Pie Company and was very happy I did. 

The pies I chose were their four Venison Pies.
  • Stalkers Pie - venison with garlic and rich tomato and red wine sauce.
  • Venison Wallace - venison with seasonal vegetables and haggis with a redcurrant and red wine sauce.
  • Chieftains Choice - with chorizo and wild mushrooms and wild boar, combined with rich onion gravy.
  • The Wee Black - venison and black pudding
The Wee Black Pie - The Wee Pie Company

Each pie can be eaten hot or cold and you can freeze them.

The pies are well made and very tasty. The pastry is just right, the sides are the soft and the top is a lovely puff pastry.
In my opinion the Venison Wallace is the best. The tender venison with perfectly cooked vegetables combined with the haggis that just brings it all together. Such great taste it's no wonder they won a Great Taste award for it.


My next and last purchase at the show was Fudge, Mrs Tilly's Fudge.

I got the Vanilla Fudge, Dark Chocolate Fudge and Orange Fudge. Each are very nice if you like your fudge with a more crumbly texture. I prefer a creamy fudge and a crumbly tablet but there is nothing wrong with these. I will definitely buy the Dark Chocolate Fudge again. Since it's dark chocolate, you get the rich chocolate taste but it doesn't add extra sweetness. It is a very nice blend.

After the show I went a wander around town, found some drinks for a friends birthday and some macaroons for myself.
Walking up W Bow street I couldn't go past a tiny cafe once I saw their macaroons in the window.


They have four or five flavours and are prices at £1.05 each or you can get them in a box. I chose the chocolate, salted caramel and pistachio. Although I was most excited about the pistachio, the salted caramel was the winner.


Even thought the day didn't bring many new discoveries it was fun and tasty and I look forward to my next foodie day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment