Sunday 19 October 2014

Fall Food - Winter Squash

After the experience of the Onion Squash I knew I needed to try something again. On a recent food shop I found a 'seasonal squash' and had to have it. I'm sure you can see a theme now on anything Halloween or fall related, if not, you will. :)

I decided on a similar filling as last time but wanted a bit more of a kick. I struggle with spice but I love chorizo. When I was at the Good Food Show I managed to pick some up and what a better way to try it out. 

Winter Squash
Just like last time I cut off the top of the squash and took out all the seeds and fibers.

In a frying pan I made a quick tomato sauce. Just canned tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic powder, sugar, salt. black pepper, paprika and a couple bay leaves. I let this cook down for about fifteen minutes until most of the liquid had reduced. I then added in the chorizo for a couple minutes.

Meanwhile, in another pan I had pasta cooking and when it was done, added it to the sauce before stuffing the squash.

I then put it in the oven for 40minutes at 150C, possibly could have done with being at 160C but it's good to practice.

The outcome was good, had a pumpkin seed roll as a side to scoop up some sauce. The squash could have done with being cooked a bit more but it was nice. The squash wasn't too soft and had a natural sweetness however I think I preferred the onion squash.

I would definitely eat it again but I am now going to try and find more types of squash for a taste experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment