Tuesday 21 October 2014

BBC Good Food Show

This weekend I attended the Good Food Show and it lived up to it's name. I had a great time seeing what everyone had to offer and trying new products. I decided I would pop on here and share what I got and initial thoughts on these.

Interview with Paul Hollywood
Firstly, this year I attended the Super Theater at the show. This is where you can go and see chefs cook and talk about what they do.
I chose the hour with Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry. I am a fan of both from The Great British Bake Off (more for Paul). They have a interesting dynamic together and are funny to see.

Lemon Curd Cake, Little Round Cake Company
My first purchase was a cake from The Little Round Cake Company. It had a nice light sponge but being a lemon curd cake, it lacked lemon flavour. The butter-cream was also a bit too much for me and I have a sweet tooth. Once the cake was finished I did feel a bit sick. However to be fair the cake was nice and I would try more from their range as they had lots on offer.

Seed and Bean Chocolate
My next purchase was chocolate from Seed and Bean. I tried a sample of the SeaSalt and Lime and thought it was soo good I had to buy it. It has the zesty flavour of the lime first then you get the creamy chocolate taste come in after. A combination I didn't think would be good but is. The salt isn't as prevalent as the name may suggest but rather the combining factor. It brings out the flavours and joins them together. 

Steak Pies from Cedar Cottage Country Food
The Cedar Cottage Country Food stall is one I have bought from each time I see it and I haven't been disappointed yet.  They sell great fresh items. I bought their steak pies this time and they were very tasty. They are packed with filling, lovely big chunks of beef with a good thick gravy. The pastry on top is also nice and flaky. If you prefer homemade burgers and pies try them out. If you see their apple and pork burgers, definitely give them a go.

Snowdonia Cheese
Next purchase went to Snowdonia Cheese company. This is a highly repeated purchase for me. Their Amber Mist (whiskey cheese) is divine. My favourite cheese ever. My mum and bestie don't even like whiskey but I have converted them onto this cheese. Snowdonia Cheese to me is great, from the flavours, to texture and price. I won't go on about cheese too much but these are really good (I love cheese, OK I'm done now). The other flavours I got were the Red Devil (chilli cheese) and the Black Bomber (extra mature). Both are very good but the chili certainly gives a kick. I plan to use it in a recipe soon.

Perfick Pork Sausages
Salami and Chorizo
After cheese, came sausage, lots of it. First stop was the Perfick Pork stand where I picked up two packs of 6. Black Pudding & Strawberry Jam and Mediterranean. These when sampled at show were really good. I look forward to trying them at home, freshly cooked.
The next stand was the Continental Cottage, where you got the deal of a bag of 7 for £10. I gave decided to give them ago and even though I have only tried the Chorizo, I'm happy with it. I look forward to trying each of them.

Lastly was the White's stand where they were giving out samples of their Toasted Oats. I tried the Apple and Cinamon there and it wasn't overpowering but would be a nice warming breakfast on a cold day. I decided to buy the other two flavours, Strawberry & Banana (mainly a banana taste) and Wild Fruit crunch (still to try). These are good with milk and would be great with yoghurt.
I also decided to buy their porridge. I was never a porridge fan but with a new obsession with oats and the weather getting cold, I decided to give them a go. Hope they are tasty.

The show this year was a must for any foodie fan. I recommend it and look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment