Friday 27 March 2015

Sweet Potato Gnocci

Fresh pasta is lovely and I have wanted to make my own for a while. When I came across a gnocci recipe in one of the recent Tesco magazines I thought that will be close enough for a first try.

It was a few nights ago that I decided to make it all and then I wasn't in the mood for it for dinner. Thankfully gnocci freezes well.
The first step was to bake the gnocci in the oven for one and a half hours over a layer of salt. The reason for the salt is to draw the moisture out of the potatoes.

It is apparently important to have dry potato to make the gnocci. All the potato needs to then be pushed through a sieve to make them nice and smooth. Add to this some flour and eggs and any seasoning you want.


Then mix it together. I found doing this by hand was easier as it eliminates the risk of over working the dough and you can feel if you need extra flour.

Once you have a ball of dough divide into four parts and then make those into sausages.


Cut into pieces and mark each piece with a fork. The fork marks will create an area that any sauce can cling to.

Tonight I decided to have some for diner and they are very easy to cook. Simply put in boiling water and when they float they are done.


My sauce was my goto quick mix with a bit extra to use up what was in the fridge. My quick sauce is just a can of tomatos simmered down with any herbs I fancy. This for me is a great base and you can add what ever you want to it.
This time around I added some pancetta and mushrooms.


When the sauce was simmered down to my desired texture I added it to my drained gnocci and served.
 
I very much enjoyed it.

Sweet Potato Gnocci

No comments:

Post a Comment